The Wollongong Self Advocacy Group is open to anyone who is registered with the National Disability Insurance Agency.
We want people to join our group because you will:
- Build your confidence
- Learn new things
- Get the information you need
- Make friends
- Go on social outings
Projects we are working on are:
- The “My Story My Life”: We are working with the NSW TAFE and with students with learning disabilities
- Taking part in rallies that are about disability around Illawarra
- Going to the VALID conference and the SARU conference
- Networking with a group in Shoalhaven
- Working with the local council and talking about making the community accessible
The issues we care about include:
- Standing up for our rights
- Legal matters
- Justice and the law
Self Advocacy Matters
Self advocacy matters because:
- We all matter and we need to be heard.
- We can spread the word and support others.
“People need to understand our disability because there is a mis-diagnosis of disabilities.”